St. Charles Public Library
An ode to the past — St. Charles Public Library is starting a new chapter, but not forgetting the library’s deep history. This library is located at One South Sixth Ave and is a popular gathering space for all ages. Opening up in 1908, the library has failed to meet the growing needs of the current community it serves, so it was time to modernize and enhance the space. Eric Penney, principal of Sheehan Nagle Hartray Architects, describes his goal during the design process, stating, “Our main focus when designing the library was to create an inspiring space for the patrons to meet, collaborate and learn.” The $18.6 million renovations and expansion project were designed with the community in mind and inspired by the natural beauty of St. Charles. The library is a contemporary design mixed with preserved features of the original building. The historic Carnegie Building was incorporated by turning the space into study rooms, reading, and research areas.
Eriksson Engineering Associates, Ltd. (EEA) provided civil engineering and landscape architecture services as a subconsultant to SNHA. To enhance the outdoor space, a patio seating area was added to the site entrance overlooking the terrace garden. The garden will allow more natural light into the lower level of the building and provide a space for an outdoor program.
Parking lot renovations were needed to allow the library to provide more parking spaces and offer safer pedestrian access to the building.
St. Charles Public Library has been recognized for Intergovernmental Cooperation by the Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD). This award highlights the library’s ongoing effort to provide youth and teen recreational services to its community.