La Casa Norte
After eight years of hard work and fundraising, La Casa Norte transformed from a small shop to a roughly 50,000 square foot, five-story, $20 million-dollar mixed-use community center in the Humboldt Park neighborhood of Chicago. La Casa Norte has a saying, “More than housing…hope,” which is what they offer. Those who are hungry and need a roof over their heads can come to La Casa Norte, where they can find fresh meat and produce or sit down for a meal.
La Casa Norte includes a private courtyard located in the center of the building and hidden entries for those looking for confidentiality. The building includes a medical clinic that is open for those who are both insured and uninsured. The La Casa building also received LEED Gold certification and is a proud recipient of the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Award for Excellence in Community Design.
Eriksson Engineering Associates, Ltd. (EEA) performed the following civil engineering services:
• Design of sidewalks and pavements within the public way
to provide both vehicular and pedestrian access to these
• Utility coordination
• Review of topographic mapping and boundary survey
• Preparation of demolition plan
• Site geometric control
• Finish of grading, setting of first-floor elevation
• Storm, sanitary, and water service design
• Permitting through local governing agencies
Photo Credit: Tom Harris