Parq Fulton (1400 W. Randolph)
The Fulton Market District is the fastest-growing, most diverse real estate market in the United States. Sitting on the western edge of Chicago’s Fulton Market District, 1400 W. Randolph will generate $2.6 million for the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund, which will go toward investments in the South and West sides.
Located at 1400 W. Randolph St., the high-rise, mixed-use residential tower features a modern design and various amenities. Redevelopment of this 343,881 SF site contained a parking lot, restaurant, and portions of a vacated street. The parking lot will consist of 67 parking spaces, and the ground floor will be occupied by retail and dining options.
This tower stands at 26-stories and includes 278 units. This development is close to public transportation, including the CTA Ashland Station. Additionally, a dog park was completed during this project.
Construction for this development started in September of 2020. There was a second building included in this plan. Across from Union Park, there will be an 11-story with 243 apartments; more than 100 of those units will be affordable housing. Together, these buildings will provide over 500-units and have provided many with job opportunities.
As the civil engineering consultant to Brininstool + Lynch for this project, Eriksson Engineering Associates, Ltd. (EEA) was responsible for the detention, grading, and ADA accessibility. EEA designed the StormTrap precast detention vault that was installed underneath the dog park. EEA coordinated with Site Design Group, Power Construction, Brininstool + Lynch, and StormTrap to provide foundation support for a pergola and fencing within the dog park.
Grading in the park accommodated ADA accessibility for the end-users, ensuring drainage patterns move around planters. A French drain was provided along to western property line adjacent to the park to ensure stormwater does not drain to Ogden without being captured and detained. Interim grading plans were completed to provide the owner the ability to leave a billboard and billboard foundation during construction. EEA collaborated with Site Design Group for green roof plans and park design to provide enough previous areas in the future build-out to meet City of Chicago Volume Control requirements. Additionally, EEA worked with DW Mechanical Group, Inc. on the routing of stormwater piping around the building to provide connectivity to the detention vault.
EEA worked with the entire team to provide multiple options to limit cost and time implications. One of EEA’s own suggested keeping the water pump room in the original location, in turn, requiring no modification to the city main on Randolph. Brininstool + Lynch assisted with locating the pump room under the vehicular ramp to utilize the dead space in the building, allowing them to program more of the first story for other uses. They were able to save approximately 300 SF of building area.