EEA was retained by the Lake County Forest Preserve District to design a portion of the Millennium Trail that connects the Rollins Savanna Forest Preserve to Hook Drive at Rollins Road. Completing this link of the trail system allowed the community to easily enjoy numerous recreational facilities and natural elements within the Forest Preserve boundaries.
The 12-foot-wide trail is more than one mile long and portions are heavily wooded. In addition to efforts to conserve as much of the native vegetation as possible, EEA assisted in the design of a 220-foot boardwalk spanning over a large wetland complex. Special attention was paid to existing depressional storage areas and small regional drainage ways.
The design and construction of the trail was coordinated between numerous governmental agencies, including:
• Village of Grayslake
• Lake County Stormwater Management Commission
• U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
• Illinois Department of Natural Resources
• U.S. Department of Fish and Wildlife Services
• Lake County Division of Transportation (LCDOT)
• Local high school district
• Neighborhood homeowners’ association
EEA’s civil work for the Millennium Trail is estimated at $1 million.